Thursday, July 11, 2013

MY RECOMMENDATION AS TO WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE FOR YOUR NEW BABY

Hey y'all!

Am I the only one still trying to get motivated after the long Holiday weekend? I swear, I just can't get my booty in gear! Also, I made the mistake of not wearing a high SPF sunblock when we went to the lake on Sunday and I have been hurting pretty darn bad! So, note to self: check SPF next time!

Today's blog post is a little different, it's not a review! I know some of my friends that follow my blog are first time expecting parents or just had their little bundle of joy and are still trying to figure out what is really necessary for the new baby, and what is nice to have. With my allergy we had to buy everything brand new for baby J and I had also just lost my job when we found out I was pregnant. We needed to figure out wants vs needs and I always tell my husband that if we are buying new, and paying full price, I want to get higher quality for it to last. Especially since we were buying all new, it would be in great condition if we decide to have another baby!

Here are the things that were a MUST for us:
  • Convertible Crib - with a nice firm mattress. This way, the mattress will last a long time, and the convertible crib converts from crib, to toddler bed (you have to purchase the side bar separately), and then into a full size headboard and footboard. We purchased our crib during the Big Baby Sale at Target and also with a redcard, and our mattress at Babies R' Us with one of their 20% off coupons that we received for being a Rewards member.
  •  Dresser - we purchased a 5 drawer chest of drawers from Slumberland, it happened to be on clearance and the wood color matched the crib perfectly. Be sure to check furniture stores in your area for the dresser, they usually have better deals then the matching dresser for your crib and you can negotiate on price!
  • Car Seat & Stroller - we purchased a Chicco Cortina travel system. It included the car seat with base, and the stroller. The car seat can lock into the stroller, which is SUPER nice with a newborn. We didn't go cheap at all in this category. Chicco is one of the highest rated for their products and you can't put a price on your baby and their safety. We purchased the set at Target with our Target redcard. I highly recommend getting a Target redcard. We chose to get the card that is just linked to our checking account. All you need to do is ask for it when you check out at Target and have a blank check for the account you want it linked to. No credit check or interest rate or fees. The amount you spend at Target comes straight from your account like your normal bank card and you get the extra 5% off of everything!
  • Pack-n-Play(PnP) - We wanted a PnP with the bassenet option for when we first came home with the baby. We wanted to have the PnP in our room so the baby was close to feed and since we were dead-tired we didn't want to be bumping around the house trying to get the baby. We went sort of cheap on the PnP we bought a BabyTrend PnP from Babies R' Us when it was on sale, it also came with a matching bouncer for an additional $10. We did purchase the sheets for the PnP which came  in handy since there were a few leaks and some spit up, it was easy to switch out sheets so it was always clean for baby.
  • Dr. Browns Bottles - We purchased a small set of these at first. I had planned on breastfeeding but didn't want to invest in a pump and all of the supplies until I knew he could latch and I had a supply. Good thing I didn't purchase any of the pumping supplies. He wouldn't latch, and I lost my supply within a day or so at the hospital. So, we ended up purchasing more of the Dr. Browns Bottles. These bottles really helped with his gas and colic.
Here are some of the WANTS that I am so glad we purchased:
  • Changing Table - This is one of the only items we bought used. We found it on Craigslist and after talking with the person quite a bit, I felt comfortable buying it as it was from a smoke free and pet free home. It is a basic changing table, with a few shelves. It has come in handy. We purchased a pad for him to lay on with a nice cover that he loves. We also purchased a few baskets that hold his diapers, washcloths and towels, and his medicine and diaper creams.
  • Boppy Pillow - I LOVE MY BOPPY! Some find it to get in the way, and some find that they don't need it if they aren't breastfeeding. I however was very grateful for my boppy pillow, for those late night feeds that I have a hard time holding my own head up, he was able to lay on the pillow with his head propped under my arm and eat. I have also used it for when he was a newborn and was on the couch with me, he would lay on it and also do tummy time on it. Baby J is 8 1/2 months old and I STILL use it! I purchased mine at Babies R' Us with a 20% off coupon. I recommend getting one with the removable cover for washing.
  • Swing - My mother was kind enough to purchase a swing for us. It is a Fisher Price Snug-a-bunny swing. Baby J took all of his naps in the swing up until he was 4 months old. Even if I needed to wash some bottles, I was able to put him in the swing turn on the mobile and he would be so content. She purchased the swing from Wal-Mart.
Now, I did make a purchase that I didn't necessarily need, and haven't really used. My glider is one of them, I thought I would get a TON of use out of this glider. I have used it a handful of times, usually for his late night feed or at this point, we are working on getting him to sleep in his crib through the night and I go in and rock him if he wakes up at 2:00am. My husband and I decided that we will put the glider in our living room when Baby J no longer needs it in his room because we did get a pretty nice glider. It was on sale at Target and we used our redcard.

Here are some of the little things you may, or may not think of that we purchased and I recommend (I will put where we purchased ours in the parentheses):
  • Water-proof mattress pad - (Target)
  • Sheets (bought a plain pack at Target, purchased his checkered flag sheet for his race themed room on Etsy) There is really no need to purchase a crib set. I purchased one and the only item I use is the crib skirt.
  • Crib Bumpers - They say not to use crib bumpers because they are a SIDs risk. I purchased the breathable mesh crib bumpers that they can still breathe through if they get too close. (Target)
  • Baby Monitor - We purchased an audio only baby monitor, and I wish we would have bought a video one instead, I constantly check on Baby J especially now that he likes to sleep on his tummy and a video monitor would be helpful. We purchased our audio set from (Target)
  • Bottle drying rack - (Target)
  • Diaper Genie - (Babies R' Us)
  • Regular items - Burp Cloths, Clothes, Diapers, Diaper Cream, Washcloths and Towels, Baby Bath, Baby Wash, Lotion, Wipes, Q-Tips, teething gel, sunscreen, baby chest rub, socks, bibs and a diaper bag.
I think that is the majority of the things that were on my list when I started shopping for Baby J. There were other things that we have purchased since. We knew we wouldn't need a highchair, bowls, spoons, and all of the homemade baby food gear until Baby J got a bit older. We also purchased a jumperoo that he loves and other play gyms and such.

My biggest advice is to keep it reasonable. If you plan on having multiple children, purchase baby neutral items so you get even more use out of them. There are a lot of things on the market that aren't necessary so think hard as to if you are really going to use it. There were a few things that I wanted that didn't seem necessary so I waited until the baby was born and looked back at those items and asked myself if it would be more convenient, how long will it be used, and could I live without it...and most of the time, I didn't purchase the item.

I hope this helps, I know when I was on the search I liked reading what actual moms use and why. I may even use this as a check off list if we have another baby. HaHa!

You have a while before baby arrives, try to spread your purchases out, we bought our important items first and then the smaller items here and there every other payday. They don't have to be purchased all at once, and do your research on prices, look into reward programs and don't forget to sign up for programs online!

If you have any questions feel free to message me or comment below! I check my blog daily!

Happy Pregnancy! =)

See you next time!

- Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment