Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Product Review: Simpson Tyler Car Seat - made by Graco


Simpson Tyler Convertible Car Seat
Manufactured by Graco
$229.99 - $299.99

* WARNING: ALL REVIEWS REFLECT OUR PERSONAL OPINION OF THE PRODUCT WE  WERE NOT INFLUENCED BY ANYONE FOR THIS REVIEW *
 
We purchased this car seat about a week ago, and returned it the very next day. My husband and I were super excited about this car seat because we are a racing family and we use Simpson Racing products. But, we learned that the seat was manufactured by Graco. I've never really been a fan of Graco products, but we figured we would give it a try.
 
After removing it from the box, I was very impressed with the material and the cushion for the seat. It was very plush and the fabric seemed breathable. I began reading the instruction booklet to figure out how to move the belts to fit my little man. The seat is made to be rear-facing for infants 4 - 40 lbs. and forward-facing for toddlers 20 - 65 lbs. My 6 month old, who is a chunky monkey, weighs 21 lbs. so he is well within the rear-facing range.
 
Once I started to move the belts, it became such a hassle. I had placed my son in the seat to see where the shoulder belts needed to be and then the mess began. The belts were a pain to get in and out of the slots because when you fed them through the cushion, the belt wouldn't come through the plastic because it would go straight down in between the cushion and plastic and you would have to try and try again to get them to feed through. There was a plastic shield that covered the belts so they were hard to feed in and out. Considering how broad the range is for weight and height for this seat, there was a lot of belt to deal with.

The seat is equipped with belts for the LATCH system. I own a 2010 Chevy Impala which has the LATCH system. We used this system for our infant seat and loved it, so we planned on using it for this seat as well. The LATCH system belts were easy to install, until it came down to tightening the seat. My 225lb husband placed his weight into the center of the seat (like it instructs us to do) and then tried to tighten both sides. After the belts were as tight as we could possibly make them. The seat was able to move quite a bit. So much as you could almost swing it around. That is just NOT safe. I was not comfortable putting my baby into something like this. Even with the weight of my 21lb 6 month old, it was still able to move quite a bit.

Also, since we had the seat tightened down so much, it was making an indention into the actual seat of the car which is fine, but the release button for the belts was also hidden at this point and was impossible to release the belt to let my little one out.

Now clearly, some of these problems wouldn't be an issue if it were forward facing, and it may fit better in a different vehicle. I just wasn't a fan and didn't feel that my child was as safe as he could be in this seat and that is my number one priority.

I hope you find this review helpful. Like I said, this is based on our experience with the item and our personal opinion. It may work better for you.

COMING SOON - PRODUCT REVIEW: CHICCO NEXTFIT CONVERTABLE CAR SEAT


No comments:

Post a Comment